What My Music Taste Says About Me

Music today has become so diversed, I even think about how much Christian music has changed. Of course, there was a such thing called "Christian Rock" back in the 90's and maybe even 80's but when I was growing up, it felt like a nonexistent thing.

I remember there was a time when I only stayed in my radio disney box and didn't bother listening to any other music that radio disney didn't play. It wasn't the worst idea considering I wanted to be able to listen to something wholesome. However, as I got older and had some electronic devices that allowed me to find music different ways, I began to broaden my music choices. I believe I started out still staying in my somewhat "radio disney box", listening to pop artists similar to what radio disney has or would play like Michelle Branch, Natasha Bedingfield and Colbie Caillat. But, thankfully to itunes and the internet, I was able to broaden my music choices even more. Later, I began to download songs by Green Day (the clean versions of their songs), Three Days Grace, and Flyleaf and slowly started to enjoy music by similar types of artist. What was cool about Flyleaf is that, though I first discovered them on secular radio stations, I discovered that their hit song "All Around Me" was actually a song about God and that they're a Christian Rock band. First of all, it was mind blowing to me that Christian artists were played on secular radio stations and secondly, I was happy that Christian music can sound this  good! From then on, Flyleaf has become one of my favorite bands and has become such an inspiration to me.

My music taste says that I can be a bit daring at times and unpredictable. I mean, you wouldn't think that a girl who loves keds, loves headbands and scarves, and sparkly nail polish would like a song by Three Days Grace or Shinedown would you? I don't think I would at least. I'd defintely say "yeah, she looks like someone who would be into some quieter music like Regina Spektor or Birdy" or I may say "she might even like someone like Rachel Platten or Ingrid Michaelson but never a hard rock band like Three Days Grace. Sometimes we do hit it on the nose as far as figuring out people's music taste by their appearance but oftentimes, there's a whole different story behind the bearded man that drives a pickup truck or the goth chick with all the dark clothes and makeup.

All in all, I believe my music taste says that I’m not someone who can be easily figured out, I’m shy but will speak my mind when I need to. It says that I love being energetic. Music tells so many stories even in one song, and it’s not always the artist or songwriters themselves, but the listeners as well. The artists don’t even realize sometimes how much their lyrics that are so profound and well written could have such a huge effect on us. For me, I know that God gets all the credit for carrying me through my struggles but, I also feel that God has given me great music to also help motivate me through my struggles.

Music can either leave a positive impact on our lives or a negative however, there’s no doubt that it does say a lot about our personalities. That’s one of the first questions that I ask people during first meetups, “what type of music do you like?” Or “what’s your favorite song?” It’s a great way to get a sense of the type of person they are.

My question for you guys is... what does your music taste say about you? Sound it off in the comments below.


This was a fun and short blog. It’s greta to post some of these kinds occasionally. Hope you enjoyed it!

Until next time,

✌️❤️😀

No comments:

Post a Comment

Originating Change Within Me

 Recently, I made a list of ways that I have changed within the last ten years. I compared the things I wrote about and thought about in my ...